The Chrysler company was founded by Walter Chrysler on June 6, 1925, when the Maxwell Motor Company (est. 1904) was re-organized into the Chrysler Corporation. Chrysler had arrived at the ailing Maxwell-Chalmers company in the early 1920s, hired to overhaul the company's troubled operations (after a similar rescue job at the Willys-Overland car company). In late 1923 production of the Chalmers automobile was ended.
In January 1924, Walter Chrysler launched the well-received Chrysler automobile. The 6-cylinder Chrysler was designed to provide customers with an advanced, well-engineered car, at an affordable price. Elements of this car are traceable to a prototype which had been under development at Willys during Chrysler's tenure. The original 1924 Chrysler included a carburetor air filter, high compression engine, full pressure lubrication, and an oil filter, features absent from most autos at the time. Among the innovations in its early years were the first practical mass-produced four-wheel hydraulic brakes, a system nearly completely engineered by Chrysler with patents assigned to Lockheed, and rubber engine mounts to reduce vibration.
Chrysler also developed a wheel with a ridged rim, designed to keep a deflated tire from flying off the wheel. This wheel was eventually adopted by the auto industry worldwide.
The Maxwell brand was dropped after the 1925 model year, with the new, lower-priced four-cylinder Chryslers introduced for the 1926 year being badge-engineered Maxwells. The advanced engineering and testing that went into Chrysler Corporation cars helped to push the company to the second-place position in U.S. sales by 1936, which it held until 1949.
In 1928, the Chrysler Corporation began dividing its vehicle offerings by price class and function. The Plymouth brand was introduced at the low-priced end of the market (created essentially by once again reworking and rebadging Chrysler's four-cylinder model). At the same time, the DeSoto brand was introduced in the medium-price field. Also in 1928, Chrysler bought the Dodge Brothers automobile and truck company and continued the successful Dodge line of automobiles and Fargo range of trucks. By the mid-1930s, the DeSoto and Dodge divisions would trade places in the corporate hierarchy.
The Model 75 was the top of the line Chrysler (outside of the Imperial) for 1929.
This very rare Roadster was first discovered 45 years ago, in Missouri, bricked into a cave with two 1932 Buick Sedans. The family knew that they were there, but the father had told them that they were not to be removed until he passed. It was believed that the cars were used for Rum Running. The original Chrysler engine was seriously speed modified, which caused it to not be rebuildable. It is fitted with a Model 77 motor, which has the advantage of a better fuel pump and 20 more cubic inches (268). Also has the optional Red Head cylinder head which raises the compression to 6.0:1, as well as the Model 77 transmission which is a 4 speed (granny low).
The engine was professionally rebuilt, but is locked up due to sitting so long. Valves are not installed, but are included.
Included are both the Model 75 updraft manifold and engine pans, and the Model 77 downdraft manifold. Drive shaft is early 30’s but has not been shortened yet. This is better than the fiber discs that would be correct. It also rode on 16” Jumbo artillery wheels, which are included (4).
As you can see a lot of work has been performed here on the cars restoration. New Body Wood, New Paint, All Chrome Replated, New Brown Leather interior and Tan Top (note the interesting tool pouch installed in the driver's door that was found intact and restored) Chassis and Wheels Restored with new tires, and more. The car need reassembly after going back into and completing the engine rebuild. It is believed complete with the possible exception of wiper motors.
Finished in a striking 2 toned Maroon this very rare car is just the thing for the handy person looking to get into a Classic Era Roadster affordably.