Packard was founded by brothers James Ward Packard , William Doud Packard and his partner George Lewis Weiss in the city of Warren OH. James Ward believed that they could build a better horseless carriage that the Winton cars owned by Weiss (An important Winton stockholder) and James Ward, himself a mechanical engineer, had some ideas how to improve on the designs of current automobiles. By 1899, they were building vehicles. The company, which they called the Ohio Automobile Company, quickly introduced a number of innovations in its designs, including the modern steering wheel and years later the first production 12-cylinder engine.
While Ford was producing cars that sold for $440, the Packards concentrated on more upscale cars that started at $2,600. Packard automobiles developed a following not only in the United States, but also abroad, with many heads of state owning them.
In need of more capital, the Packard brothers would find it when Henry Joy, a member of one of Detroit's oldest and wealthiest families, bought a Packard. Impressed by its reliability, he visited the Packards and soon enlisted a group of investors that included his brother-in-law, Truman Newberry. In 1902, Ohio Automobile Company became Packard Motor Car Company, with James as president. Packard moved its automobile operation to Detroit soon after and Joy became general manager and later chairman of the board. The Packard's factory on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit was designed by Albert Kahn, and included the first use of reinforced concrete for industrial construction in Detroit. When opened in 1903, it was considered the most modern automobile manufacturing facility in the world and its skilled craftsmen practiced over eighty trades.The 3.5 million ft plant covered over 35 acres and straddled East Grand Boulevard. It was later subdivided by eighty-seven different companies. Kahn also designed The Pacakrd Proving Grounds at Utica, MI.
Throughout the nineteen-tens and twenties, Packard built vehicles consistently were among the elite in luxury automobiles. The company was commonly referred to as being one of the "Three P's" of American motordom royalty, along with Pierce and Peerless. Packard's leadership of the luxury car field was supreme. Entering into the 1930s Packard attempted to beat the stock market crash and subsequent depression by manufacturing ever more opulent and expensive cars than it had prior to October 1929.
This is one such opulent car, an elegant and sporting touring car on the longest wheelbase chassis offered in 1929.. There is nothing quite like the lines of a Sport Phaeton, arguably the most quintessentially Classic body style. Finished in a striking color combination, Mint Green over Medium Grteen with a matching green full leather interior, this fine example is a very nice older restoration, and is used occasionally on sunny summer days. Everything is in good order, the paint finish is very good, the chrome very nice, and the interior is in fine condition. This car presents essentially as a freshly restored car with only the most minor of flaws most notably a wear spot on the rug under the drivers heel. Featuring Stone Guard, Trippe Lights, Goddess of Speed Mascot, Dual Side Mounts, Trunk and Rack, and Chrome Wire Wheels- This car has it all!
With a known history going back many years this car has had a few famous owners including legendary Indy Car race driver and team owner Andy Granatelli, and John Paul DeJuria- founder and CEO of Paul Mitchell.
This car is one of the smoothest running Packards you will find on the market. I think this car would pass the legendary "balancing a quarter on its edge on the head while running" test. The engine compartment was recently refreshed cosmetically and the car is regualrly maintained by one of the leading vintage car mechanics in Southern California.
This is a very rare and desirable Full Classic Packard ready for CARavanning or the Next Grand Classic or Concours near you!