While Ford was producing cars that sold for $440, the Packards concentrated on more upscale cars that started at $2,600. Packard automobiles developed a following not only in the United States, but also abroad, with many heads of state owning them.
In need of more capital, the Packard brothers would find it when Henry Joy, a member of one of Detroit's oldest and wealthiest families, bought a Packard. Impressed by its reliability, he visited the Packards and soon enlisted a group of investors that included his brother-in-law, Truman Newberry. In 1902, Ohio Automobile Company became Packard Motor Car Company, with James as president. Packard moved its automobile operation to Detroit soon after and Joy became general manager and later chairman of the board. The Packard's factory on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit was designed by Albert Kahn, and included the first use of reinforced concrete for industrial construction in Detroit. When opened in 1903, it was considered the most modern automobile manufacturing facility in the world and its skilled craftsmen practiced over eighty trades.The 3.5 million ft2 (325,000 m²) plant covered over 35 acres (142,000 m²) and straddled East Grand Boulevard. It was later subdivided by eighty-seven different companies. Kahn also designed The Pacakrd Proving Grounds at Utica, MI.
Throughout the nineteen-tens and twenties, Packard built vehicles consistently were among the elite in luxury automobiles. The company was commonly referred to as being one of the "Three P's" of American motordom royalty, along with Pierce and Peerless. Packard's leadership of the luxury car field was supreme.
Entering into the 1930s Packard attempted to beat the stock market crash and subsequent depression by manufacturing ever more opulent and expensive cars than it had prior to October 1929. "Prosperity is just around the corner" was the tag line of the time as the nation continued to take a positive attitude towards the Depression, which everyone expected to end in a few years. Into this environment Packard moved ever forward introducing The Packard Twin Six (later dubbed the Twelve) in 1932, as well as other refinements for the 9th series cars. Prosperity did not arrive and Sales were sluggish at best. These cars are therefore among the most rare of all years of Packard production and in the eyes of many the most desirable.
This exceptional original example has had only 3 owners from new. The car was purchased by Mr. Walter C. Nye, President of Citizens Bank of Providence, RI at Providence Packard Co. in February of 1932. Mr. Nye kept the car the remainder of his life and the car was sold by the estate of his widow in 1956 to Mr. Rueben Marks, again of Providence. Mr Rueben again kept the car the remainder of his life, and the Seller purchased the car in December of 2007, from Mr. Marks Estate. This fact alone speaks volumes about this car- This is a car that has been a treasured companion. always kept stored properly and in good running order its entire life!
Everything is original here- the paint, interior, and brightwork all are the original finishes installed at the Packard Plant on E Grand Ave in Detroit in 1932. Finished in a striking 4 toned paint scheme, this car is an absolute timepiece-an heirloom to be preserved enjoyed and cherished by its next caretaker. By the way the car runs and drives without fault, and really needs nothing to be enjoyed as much on the road as it is on the Showfield.
In a day when ratty tired cars are declared "too original to restore", its rare to see a fine original car that has been preserved its entire life, that really is too nice to restore. These cars are benchmarks of how things were really done, and truly embody what an original unrestored car is all about.
This is a rare if not once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire an important and lovingly preserved example of Packard at its finest.