The Lancia Aprilia (1937–1949) is a car manufactured by Lancia, one of the first designed using wind tunnel in collaboration with Battista Farina and Politecnico di Torino, achieving a record low drag coefficient of 0.47. The berlinetta aerodinamica was first shown in 1936. Production commenced in February 1937, the month in which the firm's founder died: this was the last of Vincenzo Lancia's designs, featuring four pillarless doors. The first series (mod. 238, 10,354 units, 1937–39) featured a 1,352 cc V4 motor providing 47 PS (35 kW). The second series (mod. 438, 9,728 units, 1939–49) had its engine capacity increased to 1,486 cc which provided 48 PS (35 kW). A Lusso model of this second series was also offered as well as a lungo (lengthened) version (706 made, 1946–49). A total of 20,082 cars and 7,554 additional chassis for coach built bodies were produced in Turin along with about 700 in France.
With the Aprilia Lancia followed their tradition of offering cars with the steering wheel on the right even in markets seen by other manufacturers as left hand drive markets. Outside the UK and Sweden customers increasingly picked the optional left hand drive versions, however. Special designs include those by Ugo Zagato (1938), a Carrozzeria Touring convertible, the army's Torpedo militare (World War II), a Luigi Pagani-tuned barchetta bodied by boatbuilders Riva di Merate on a pre-war chassis (1946), a Bertone convertible (1947), one of Michelotti's first, while at Vignale (1949).
This exceptional example is the first of 2 continuation cars built by Andreas Zagato on an original 1937 Aprilia Chassis. Built to the original specifications of his Grandfather Ugo's 1937 Aprilia Zagato Sport Race Car, this car is identical in every respect. The car was built using the original photos in the Zagato family archives, from which with the assistance of modern CAD technology, Engineering Drawings and Plans were created. The car was debuted by Andreas Zagato at the Monterey Historics upon completion. Offered by the commisioner for the first time since construction after limited vintage racing and concours appearances, this car is just the thing for participation in such events worldwide.
The exciting streamlined body, Brooklands type windscreens, and close coupled cockpit give this car a truly unique and memorable presence. The Aprilia underpinnings with their nimble, balanced, and spirited performance make the car an absolute joy to pilot. Composed of hand formed Aluminum the lightweight body of this car gives it very good performance.
This is just an exciting car in every respect, a bespoke continuation car produced by the Carrozerria that produced the original. With the growing number of Manufacturers producing Continuation Cars this car represents a pioneering effort that has truly caught on.