1941 Packard
120 Convertible Coupe
Asking $63,500 OBO

Location: Western MA
VIN #:
Engine:Straight 8
Transmission:3 Speed Manual
Wheelbase:120"
Mileage:

Packard was founded by brothers James Ward Packard , William Doud Packard and his partner George Lewis Weiss in the city of Warrne OH. James Ward believed that they could build a better horseless carriage that the Winton cars owned by Weiss (An important Winton stockholder) and James Ward, himself a mechanical engineer, had some ideas how to improve on the designs of current automobiles. By 1899, they were building vehicles. The company, which they called the Ohio Automobile Company, quickly introduced a number of innovations in its designs, including the modern steering wheel and years later the first production 12-cylinder engine.

While Ford was producing cars that sold for $440, the Packards concentrated on more upscale cars that started at $2,600. Packard automobiles developed a following not only in the United States, but also abroad, with many heads of state owning them.

In need of more capital, the Packard brothers would find it when Henry Joy, a member of one of Detroit's oldest and wealthiest families, bought a Packard. Impressed by its reliability, he visited the Packards and soon enlisted a group of investors that included his brother-in-law, Truman Newberry. In 1902, Ohio Automobile Company became Packard Motor Car Company, with James as president. Packard moved its automobile operation to Detroit soon after and Joy became general manager and later chairman of the board. The Packard's factory on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit was designed by Albert Kahn, and included the first use of reinforced concrete for industrial construction in Detroit. When opened in 1903, it was considered the most modern automobile manufacturing facility in the world and its skilled craftsmen practiced over eighty trades.The 3.5 million ft plant covered over 35 acres and straddled East Grand Boulevard. It was later subdivided by eighty-seven different companies. Kahn also designed The Packard Proving Grounds at Utica, MI.

Throughout the nineteen-tens and twenties, Packard built vehicles consistently were among the elite in luxury automobiles. The company was commonly referred to as being one of the "Three P's" of American motordom royalty, along with Pierce and Peerless. Packard's leadership of the luxury car field was supreme.

This exceptional 120 convertible is in truly excellent condition in every respect having been the subject of a comprehensive body on restoration in 2007. The paint and chrome are exceptional, the interior and top is as new, this is just a spectacular example from every point of view.

The car has an interesting history- In 1959, the Seller's father owned a gas station and wrecker service in his small town. He was charged with towing this car in by the local authorities due to some infraction by the out of town owner. When the owner came to retrieve the car and asked how much he owed he was told $1.50 for the tow, and $1.00 for storage.

The owner tossed him the keys and said "Keep it!"

He did just that-keeping it actually for the rest of his life. The car was used in parades and other family outings and became his pride and joy, until his passing in 1994.

In 2007 his son - having inherited the car-embarked on a comprehensive body on restoartion (since the car was generally in good condition) having it repainted and retrimmed in its original color scheme, and completely restoring it mechanically as well.

The car runs and drives quite well and is driven only on Sunny Summer days.

The time has come, however, to pass the car on to a new caretaker. This is a rare opportunity to acquire a car with a colorful story, long term ownership, a car that is truly a family heirloom for all intents and purposes.

Click on any image to enlarge it.