1941 Packard
120 Convertible Coupe
Asking $27,000.00 OBO

Location: Cincinnati OH
VIN #:
Engine:Straight 8
Transmission:3 Speed Manual
Wheelbase:120"
Mileage:

Packard was founded by brothers James Ward Packard , William Doud Packard and his partner George Lewis Weiss in the city of Warrne OH. James Ward believed that they could build a better horseless carriage that the Winton cars owned by Weiss (An important Winton stockholder) and James Ward, himself a mechanical engineer, had some ideas how to improve on the designs of current automobiles. By 1899, they were building vehicles. The company, which they called the Ohio Automobile Company, quickly introduced a number of innovations in its designs, including the modern steering wheel and years later the first production 12-cylinder engine.

While Ford was producing cars that sold for $440, the Packards concentrated on more upscale cars that started at $2,600. Packard automobiles developed a following not only in the United States, but also abroad, with many heads of state owning them.

In need of more capital, the Packard brothers would find it when Henry Joy, a member of one of Detroit's oldest and wealthiest families, bought a Packard. Impressed by its reliability, he visited the Packards and soon enlisted a group of investors that included his brother-in-law, Truman Newberry. In 1902, Ohio Automobile Company became Packard Motor Car Company, with James as president. Packard moved its automobile operation to Detroit soon after and Joy became general manager and later chairman of the board. The Packard's factory on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit was designed by Albert Kahn, and included the first use of reinforced concrete for industrial construction in Detroit. When opened in 1903, it was considered the most modern automobile manufacturing facility in the world and its skilled craftsmen practiced over eighty trades.The 3.5 million ft plant covered over 35 acres and straddled East Grand Boulevard. It was later subdivided by eighty-seven different companies. Kahn also designed The Packard Proving Grounds at Utica, MI.

Throughout the nineteen-tens and twenties, Packard built vehicles consistently were among the elite in luxury automobiles. The company was commonly referred to as being one of the "Three P's" of American motordom royalty, along with Pierce and Peerless. Packard's leadership of the luxury car field was supreme.

This car is a stalled project that has had a lot of expensive body work performed, but the shop has closed, so the owner has decided to part with the car. The body is pretty much ready for paint, and 3 out of 4 fenders are ready for paint as well. New Wood top bows will need to be fabricated but the metal top mechanism is ready for the new wood pieces.

The car ran and drove quite well prior to disassembly, it was a good weekend driver, so mechanically should not need too much work once the body and paint work has been completed. This project has spanned several years, however, that the car has now been off the road, so there will some some other things that will undoubtedly need addressed before you are going on a long distance tour.

Offered at a sacrifice price below the investment of the current owner, this car represents a good opporunity for the hobbiest restorer who can complete a lot of the final reassembly himself.

 

Click on any image to enlarge it.