The Cadillac Series 70 (models 70 and 75) is a full-size V8-powered series of cars that were produced by Cadillac from the 1930s through the 1980s. It replaced the 1935 355E as the company's mainstream car just as the much less expensive Series 60 was introduced.
For 1941, the wheelbase was reduced to 136 in, though power on the 346 cu in L-head V8 engine was up to 150 hp . The one piece hood came down lower in the front, included the side panels and extended sideways to the fenders. A single rectangular panel of louver trim was used on each side of the hood. The rectangular grille was wide, vertical, and bulged foreword in the middle. Rectangular parking lights were built into the top outer corners of the grille. Headlights were now built into the nose of the fenders,and provision for built in accessory fog lights was provided under the headlights.Three chrome spears appeared on the rear section of all four fenders. Rear fender skirts were standard. Unlike other Cadillacs the Series 75 could only be ordered with running boards. The grille became more massive in 1942, with even fewer bars.Parking lights became round and fog light sockets became rectangular and were included in the grille area. A bullet shape appeared on the tops of the bumper guards. The nose on the hood louvers were more rounded.Unlike other Cadillacs the fender treatment remained unchanged. A new fresh air ventilating system with air ducts leading from the grille replaced cowl ventilators. Handbrake control was changed from lever to tee-shaped pull handle. Radiator shutter control of engine temperature was replaced by a blocking type thermostat in the water return fitting in the radiator.
The Series 75 returned after the war as Cadillac's largest model. It retained most of its pre-war styling and rode on the long 136 in wheelbase and used a distinctive body not shared with other general Motors divisions.Five different touring sedan configurations were featured: with quarter windows; with auxiliary jump seats; business; Imperial seven-passenger and Imperial nine-passenger (the latter two both having jump seats). The engine was the same 346 in³ L-head V8 used by other Cadillacs that year. Standard equipment included large wheel discs, fender skirts, hood, side and lower beltline moldings and stainless steel runningboards. Unchanged in all but minor details for 1947, the big Series 75 continued to use the touring sedan body with a stately prewar appearance. It came in the same five configurations marketed the year before and had the same assortment of standard equipment geared to the luxury class buyer.Consideration was given to the deletion of the long wheelbase line in 1948, but competitive pressure from Packard in the luxury class market dictated the retention of the Series 75. Again they featured General Motors old-fashioned "Turret Top" styling, a throwback to the prewar years. Minor revisions on the outside of the cars included a new background for the V-shaped hood emblem and Cadillac script, replacing block lettering, low on the fenders behind the front wheel opening. Buyers ordering fog lamps got rectangular lamps in place of the smaller round style. Stainless steel running boards were seen once again.A new dashboard with rainbow style instrument cluster and burled leather trim extending to the carpets was seen this year. To accommodate luxury-class buyers the long wheelbase Series 75 was carried over in 1949 without any basic changes except that a more conventional dashboard design appeared featuring a horizontal speedometer.The new Cadillac OHV V8 was the big news for 1949. This 331 cu in engine produced 160 hp.
This very solid 7 Passenger example shows has the correct 16" wheels, a new set of Coker Wide Whites, and new hubcaps and medalians,. The fender skirts have been restored, as have the trunk trim and tail lights. The car was last on the road in 1969 and the engine is free but it has not been driven since 1969. A large catch of spares has been accumulated over the years that go with the car.