The Delahaye 135, also known as "Coupe des Alpes" after its success in the Alpine Rally, was first presented in 1935 and signified Delahaye's decision to build sportier cars than before. The 3.2-litre overhead valve straight-six with four-bearing crankshaft was derived from one of Delahaye's truck engines and was also used in the more sedate, longer wheelbase (3,160 mm or 124 in) Delahaye 138. Power was 95 hp (71 kW) in twin carburetor form, but 110 hp (82 kW) were available in a version with three downdraught Solex carbs, offering a 148 km/h (92 mph) top speed. The 138 had a single carburetor and 76 hp (57 kW), and was available in a sportier 90 hp (67 kW) iteration.
The 135 featured independent, leaf-sprung front suspension, a live rear axle, and cable operated Bendix brakes. 17-inch spoked wheels were also standard. Transmission was either a partially synchronized four-speed manual or four-speed Cotal pre-selector transmission. The list of independent body suppliers offering to clothe the 135 chassis is the list of France's top coachbuilders of the time, including Figoni & Falaschi, Letourneur et Marchand, Guilloré, Marcel Pourtout, Frères Dubois, J Saoutchik, Franay, Antem and Henri Chapron. Production of the 3.2-litre version ended with the German occupation in 1940 and was not taken up again after the end of hostilities.
A larger-displacement (3,557 cc) 135M was introduced in 1936. Largely the same as the regular 135, the new engine offered 90, 105, or 115 hp with either one, two, or three carburetors. As with the 135/138, a less sporty, longer wheelbase version was also built, called the "148". The 148 had a 3,150 mm wheelbase, or 3,350 mm in a seven-seater version. On the two shorter wheelbases, a 134N was also available, with a 2,150 cc four-cylinder version of the 3.2-litre six from the 135. Along with a brief return of the 134, production of 148, 135M, and 135MS models was resumed after the end of the war. The 135 and 148 were then joined by the larger engined 175, 178, and 180 derivatives. The 135M continued to be available alongside the newer 235 until the demise of Delahaye in 1954.
From the first glimpse of this Marine Blue jewel the signature of Chapron sparkles. Stately wings are elegantly formed and further enhanced by wrapping around the cockpit. Charectistically Post War, the aviation styled chrome bumpers reinforce the streamlined appearance of this Lordly convertible. Cut like an oblong Aquamarine, the bonnet of this 135M Cabriolet is set of by the imposing grill, highlighting the brilliance of the bodywork. The carefully designed rocket shaped headlights are recessed and accentuate the aircraft wing appearance of the split bumper.
Fully restored in the Chapron Workshop in 1986, this gem has beautiful leather upholstery, a leather bound steering wheel, and a rear view mirror with an elegant finesse. Square intrument dials add a contemporary touch to the varnished wood dashboard and quarterlights are operated by a small crank. The impressive top has 3 positions for enjoying this beautiful cabriolet in all seasons. With only 3 owners from new this car has unquestioned provenance, and has never been shown Stateside.