Frazer Nash was a brand of British sports car manufactured from 1922 first by Frazer Nash Limited founded by engineer Archibald Frazer-Nash. On its financial collapse in 1927 a new company, AFN Limited, was incorporated. Control of AFN passed to Harold John Aldington in 1929.
Frazer Nash Limited's business was founded in 1922 by Archie Nash. Nash with friend Ron Godfrey had founded and run the GN cyclecar company in 1909 but their partnership split in 1922 and Nash began making his own cars by buying GN components and adding a new body. His new business's activities were centred on Kingston upon Thames, Surrey. The first true Frazer Nash was made in 1924. However, Nash, a clever engineer and designer, seemed unable to run a business at a profit. Shareholders in this period even included author Evelyn Waugh. Eventually the faltering business was sold to a new company, AFN Limited, formed in 1927. Profitability did not improve and, with effect from 1 January 1929, H J Aldington was made managing director and Nash was given the post of 'technical adviser'. Archie Nash managed to keep a small shareholding and as if to confirm the link in 1938 hyphenated his second name to his surname and became Archie Frazer-Nash.
After AFN was acquired by Harold Joseph ("Aldy") Aldington, AFN's operations moved to Isleworth, Middlesex. Thereafter, the business was run by the three Aldington brothers: Aldy, Don and Bill. The other two were Donald Arthur Aldington (1907-1997) and William Henry Aldington (1900-1980). They were all usually referred to by their initials. Frazer Nash and subsequently AFN produced around 350 of the famous chain drive models between 1924 and 1939.
AFN Ltd became importers and assemblers of BMW cars in 1934 and sold them branded Frazer Nash BMW. They were the official British BMW importer until the outbreak of war in 1939. AFN Ltd produced about 85 more cars from 1948 to 1957. These cars were entirely unrelated to the chain-drive pre-war Frazer Nash but were largely a direct evolution of the sporting BMW 328.
AFN, as owners of the UK rights to the 328 engine, licensed Bristol to make it against an agreement for its supply to them. Models include the Le Mans Replica, the Mille Miglia, the Targa Florio, the Le Mans Coupé and the Sebring. Competition successes included a third place at Le Mans (1949) and wins in the Targa Florio in 1951 and the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1952. The post-war cars are very highly prized by collectors. Formula 2 cars produced by the company contested various races including four Grand Prix events counting towards the 1952 World Championship of Drivers.
This Lemans Replica was assembled by Dick Crosswaite of Crosswaite and Gardner after their acquisition of the remaining inventory of parts and tooling from AFN. Dick then compaigned the car quite successfully on the Vintage Racing Circuit. This car is a well known competitor and has a storied history of wins in Vintage Racing events the world over. This is a very successful almost unbeatable Vintage Race car in its class. Featuring the respected Bristol 6 with Triple Carburators and a beautiful and perfectly flowing custom exhaust, the car has an unmistakable note. The brakes are vented and never fade under heavy use. The handling is exceptional- this car does everything very very well. If you want to win in Vintage Racing instead of just competing- this is your car!
The car is in excellent racing condition and ready for success in any of the numerous Vintage Rally, Race, or Touring events for which it is eligible.